[ExI] Wernicke's aphasia and the CRA.

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 22:52:52 UTC 2009

2009/12/14 Gordon Swobe <gts_2000 at yahoo.com>:
> Stathis (and Lee),
>
>> In the CR a thinking entity supervenes on the behaviour of another
>> thinking entity, the man in the room
>
> No. The "internalization" in the rejoinder to the systems reply to the CRA refers only to the internalization by the man of the program and I/O ports. Instead of a physical rule-book on a bookshelf, he has a memorized look up table. Instead of slot in the door through which he receives inputs and sends outputs, he has his own ears and mouth. The internalization thus does not refer to the internalization of any other "thinking entity".
>
> Searle's systems reply critics had argued (with perfect logic, even if they missed the point) that while the man inside lacks understanding, it does not follow that the room also lacks understanding. After all the man inside is not the subject that passes the Turing test. The room is!
>
> So Searle replied, "Well then forget about the Chinese room and all its trappings (I only put that stuff there to help you visualize what's going on) and let the Englishman inside memorize the program. He then steps outside the room and takes the TT in Chinese. He passes it, yet he still does not understand Chinese."

The brain is comprised of dumb components which act together to create
a mind. The CR is comprised of smart and dumb components which act
together to create a mind distinct from the mind of the smart
component. The CR without the room is comprised of a smart component
which acts to create a mind distinct from the mind of the smart
component. It doesn't make any difference to the final result if the
information processing is done by smart or dumb components.

--
Stathis Papaioannou