[ExI] Atheism

Post Futurist p0stfuturist at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 14 04:04:38 UTC 2009

 >Stefano Vaj wrote:
>The real point IMHO is: if "religion" must  be, why do we need a
metaphysical, faith-based, anti-scientific one?

We here don't; virtually no one who thought so would subscribe to exl-chat long-term. Modern reactive (and 'reactive' means profoundly reactive) religion is like Luddism a reaction to the misapplication of technologies since the Industrial Revolution.
The counterculture (which at its height from '66 to '73 was very mystical) was a reaction
to technological misapplication . 20th cum 21st century religion is a reaction to technological misapplications and the totalitarian age,1917 to 1989.
Unfortunately, reactive memes are extremely hard to wash out, Proctor & Gamble doesn't market a bleach that does that. Faith (or at least religion) has a only marginal benefit, but so does life extension at this time. So until effective, that is also to say cost effective, life extension is available, say midcentury, organized (sadly overcommercialized) religion makes sense to the maddening herd of sheeple. Marijuana now works well as soma; porn is another diversion, yet they are not as powerful as religion-- for one thing they are not as cost effective as religion. The offering basket at a house of worship requires far less funds than medical marijuana -- plus designer drugs--and porn.
My untested hypothesis is that religion/faith at this time is the super ego + the collective unconscious, which is why it is so potent. Religion is an Internet of the mind in my reckoning.