[ExI] Scientists Behaving Badly

Alfio Puglisi alfio.puglisi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 19:50:03 UTC 2009

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 9:14 PM, <moulton at moulton.com> wrote:

> Alfio
>
> Thank you for referring to something in the article.  I assume you
> read it all and found the lines you quote as most worthy of discussion.

Actually, I didn't read it all when I sent the previous email, just skimmed
the first paragraphs and found those lines.

Now that I have read all of if I see that it is full of factual errors,
irrelevant or misleading statements, and unfounded accusations like
"Global temperatures stopped rising a few years ago" (two errors in one
sentence), or   "utterly politicized scientists such as Jones, Mann, and
NASA's James Hansen" (politicized? care to prove it?) , or "There have been
rumors for years about political pressure being brought to bear on the
process to deliver scarier numbers" (wrong, pressure was in the opposite
direction, at least in the US), or "according to one of Jones's emails,
actually destroying the raw data in the face of a successful FOIA
requisition." (Jones suggested to do that in an email, but there's no proof
of destroying anything in response to FOIAs requests), repeating the
"travesty" argument when it has been explained to death that it means
nothing of the sort, and so on.

When not dwelling in such propaganda, it focuses on the medieval warm period
and its reconstructions, giving its own interpretation of the famous emails.
Nowhere it says that these emails are a small subset of the total, released
by someone with an explicit agenda stated right at the beginning of the
archive, and so any interpretation of these email is suspect and anyway
expected to be one-sided.

More importanly, I see no discussion of the simple topic that, even
conceding some of the worst interpretations of the emails, nothing would
change in the global warming picture: CO2 would still be a greenhouse gas,
its increase would still be of anthropogenic, Arctic ice and glaciers would
still be melting, Greenland would still be losing mass, plants would still
blossom earlier, temperatures would be still going up, etc.   To resume, in
my opinion this article adds nothing to our understanding of the situation,
but instead actively tries to instill in the reader a distrust for science
with misleading statements and attacking irrelevant details, while missing
the big picture entirely.

Alfio