[ExI] Name for carbon project

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 20:26:11 UTC 2009

On 12/15/09, Keith Henson wrote:
> A few of you have been following my work on solving the energy and
>  carbon problems.  Regardless of how you feel about carbon, energy
>  really is a problem, one that if not solved could really make a mess
>  of world civilization.
>
>  Unfortunately attention is focused on carbon and relatively little on
>  the energy problem even though the two are deeply connected.  Here is
>  one:
>  http://www.virgin.com/subsites/virginearth/
>
>  To have any chance of competing for the prize, the focus must be on
>  sequestering carbon.  That's relatively easy and painless if we
>  produce 15 TW of power satellites beyond human energy needs and use it
>  to make synthetic oil for storage in empty oil fields.

Looks like Sandia National Labs already have a solution.

<http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2009-11/co2-recycler-uses-sunlight-turn-waste-carbon-back-fuel>

New Reactor Uses Sunlight to Turn Water and Carbon Dioxide Into Fuel
By Clay Dillow Posted 11.23.2009

Talk about a Eureka moment. Scientists at Sandia National Labs,
seeking a means to create cheap and abundant hydrogen to power a
hydrogen economy, realized they could use the same technology to
"reverse-combust" CO2 back into fuel. Researchers still have to
improve the efficiency of the system, but they recently demonstrated a
working prototype of their "Sunshine to Petrol" machine that converts
waste CO2 to carbon monoxide, and then syngas, consuming nothing but
solar energy.