[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 20 19:12:19 UTC 2009

--- On Sun, 12/20/09, John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net> wrote:

>> So what's your beef with him regarding evolution?

> Searle says intelligent behavior is possible without
> consciousness, Darwin says it is not. I'm putting my
> money on Darwin.

In other words, you would rather adopt the position that anything capable of intelligent behavior has a mind capable of holding thoughts than adopt Searle's much more conventional position that only advanced organisms with brains can do so.

Panpsychism is as fine a religion as any I suppose.

PS. My watch says to say hello. :)

-gts