[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 20 21:06:14 UTC 2009

> I'll do my best to just ignore the words "Chinese Room" or "John Searle"
> in future.

In other words, Ben, you think we should stick our heads in the sand and pretend that Searle never presented these same arguments that I present here. He made these arguments about 30 years ago. So far as I can tell, nobody has refuted them.

And to Eugen: I'm no troll. Not even close. I joined this group approximately 10 years ago and have never unsubscribed. I participate from time to time when I think I have something of interest to discuss and when I think my fellow extropians might have some valuable input. I appreciate people like Stathis and Ben and Damien and Brent and others who, unlike you Eugen, have actually tried to offer something constructive.

For whatever it's worth, on another list devoted to philosophy I am currently criticizing some of the finer points of Searle's philosophy. Nothing would please me more than to see someone here on Exi come up with a cogent and complete counterargument to Searle's argument against strong AI.

-gts