[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 21 01:13:59 UTC 2009

--- On Sun, 12/20/09, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Where would you draw the line in the animal kingdom?

I can only speculate, but to me it seems reasonable to assume that other primates and higher mammals and other critters with reasonably well developed brains have minds capable of at least primitive symbol grounding.

Someday we'll understand the mystery of Wernicke's area and of other brain structures related to thought, meaning and consciousness. I think then we'll have an idea what to look for in other animals.

-gts