[ExI] time to devour the dog

Max More max at maxmore.com
Tue Dec 22 00:36:25 UTC 2009

Damn! I hate it when I don't proofread a post. Here it is again, with
corrections to paragraphs four, five, and six. The second mistake
made it sound like we had put our beloved dog down. (In fact, he's
alive and well, and snoring as I type.)

-----------------------

I suspect that this study is actually bullshit. I know I've seen some
other info about this... I'll try to find it.

One quote that immediately makes me doubt the report:

 >calculated that a medium-sized dog eats around 164 kilos (360
 >pounds) of meat and 95 kilos of cereal a year.

Natasha's and my dog Oscar is a large dog (around 80 to 85 lbs) but
he certainly does not consume a pound of meat per day. A can of his
Pedigree Healthy Digestion has a net weight of 375 g or 13.2 oz,
i.e., less than a pound. This is far from all-meat, its ingredients
including brown rice, brewer's rice, and other non-meat ingredients.
A can lasts him... how long, Natasha? At least three days, I'd say.

Seems to me, the study authors have picked an unrealistically
exaggerated number for amount of meat consumed by a medium dog per day.

Even if the number was accurate, so what? Should we apologize for
living and then have our beloved dog put down?

It's just another case of Greens trying to make all humans feel
guilty for living. I'm really sick of this culture.

Max