[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Dec 23 10:13:42 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 01:02:08PM -0700, Jeff Davis wrote:

> Searle's argument seems little more than another attempt -- born of
> ooga-booga spirituality -- to deny the basic truth of materialism:
> Life, persona, mind, and consciousness are the entirely unspecial
> result of the "bubble, bubble, toil, and trouble" of stardust in the
> galactic cauldron.  When life, persona, mind, consciousness are
> eventually deconstructed, they will be seen to be as mundane as the
> dirt from which they sprang.  Some may find this a bad thing.  I
> consider it, already, immensely liberating.

I find it really difficult to understand what drives reasonably smart
people today to bog down in a rerun of the vis vitalis debate. Which was
empirically put to death on 22th February of 1828 or so (though I
presume some die-hards will only be convinced by a tour de force of
synthetic biology).

Be careful, or you'll soon start battling the swobes on merits of phlogiston.
He looks quite the type.