[ExI] Carbon

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Dec 24 15:51:42 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 11:29:08AM -0800, spike wrote:

> Ja, but we wouldn't need to haul down the carbon out of the air.  Rather we

Energetically, with modern processes it doesn't matter much whether
your scrubbing flue gas or air.

As to running out of carbon, quite a lot of Earth's crust is carbonates
along with alumosilicates.

> would deliver it directly to the homes and factories in the form of coal,
> the old fashioned way.  Also, the quantities of carbon I expect we will use

Pipelines for gases or liquids are better.

> is miniscule, since all the really cool stuff I can imagine we would build
> would be tiny.  Reason: we don't have the space to build really big stuff.

The solar system is pretty big though.

> We already build our homes mostly of carbon.  If we made them from

US maybe, in other locations people like nonorganics. Geopolymers in
form of mineral foams can be quite cheap and low-carbon.

> better-organized carbon, it would take far less than we currently use.

If we can organize matter at molecular scale better, we don't really
need houses anymore.