[ExI] Searle and AI

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Dec 28 01:31:51 UTC 2009

On 12/27/2009 12:08 PM, Jef wrote:

> To paraphrase our friend Eliezer (as irksome as that can sometimes
> be), mysterious questions don't require mysterious answers.

Sometimes, though, they require previously unsuspected answers. When
your estimate of the sun's age can't be reconciled with all the energy
sources known to science, including gravity, sometimes you have to go to
that mysterious newfangled quantum theory (so new it hasn't been
invented yet) and invoke radioactivity. It's true that this looks
mysterious to anyone who's unfamiliar with radioactivity and the quantum
formalism that explains it. When the universe starts looking much
queerer than anyone supposed, sometimes you have to just make up dark
matter and dark energy (consistent with what's already known, naturally)
and hope for the best.

Damien Broderick