[ExI] Searle and AI

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 28 22:39:03 UTC 2009

--- On Sun, 12/27/09, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

> The argument due to David Chalmers that I have been putting to Gordon
> (http://consc.net/papers/qualia.html) shows that this position is
> absurd. IF the brain is computable THEN so is consciousness

I think you misunderstand "computable consciousness" but we'll discuss this in the other thread.

I read Chalmer's "hard problem" book a few years ago, by the way (don't recall the exact title offhand). In fact I discussed it with others here. Chalmer's critics have it right; Chalmer leaves us with more questions than we had to start with!

-gts