[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 29 13:47:44 UTC 2009

Stathis,

> So my question is, Will I still have consciousness in this sense if my
> brain is replaced with an electronic one that results in the same
> behaviour? And the answer is, Yes. That's what the thought experiment
> I've described demonstrates.

If that's what it demonstrates then it misses the point of Searle's argument, which has nothing to do with replacing a natural brain with an electronic one.

Perhaps we will find a way to create intentionality by electronic means. Assume we have and that the engineer who accomplished that remarkable feat puts his blueprint into a program to run on hardware. The resulting software/hardware system will then only *simulate* the object described in the blueprint.

-gts