[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI.

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 29 16:51:21 UTC 2009

On Dec 28, 2009,  Gordon Swobe wrote:

> the word consciousness has a sort of mystical new-age connotation that throws them off the track.
> For that reason I prefer the word intentionality.

Intentionality means doing something with an intention and that means doing something with an aim or a plan. A program is a plan. But perhaps you just mean doing things for a reason. Well, I maintain it is beyond dispute that you, me, computers, everything in the universe does things because of cause and effect OR they don't do things because of cause and effect; and if they don't then those things are by definition random.

 John K Clark