[ExI] Some new angle about AI

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 30 02:21:27 UTC 2009

----- Original Message ----

I appreciate that you accept that possibility that the brain may be uncomputable so I won't belabor that point. But randomness is not as cut and dry as you seem to think. The only measurable difference between randomness and predetermined chaos seems to be a priori knowledge of the system dynamics. Furthermore chaos theory, essentially an uncomputable branch of classical physics as suggested by Serafino, blurs the distinction between randomness and undecidability by recursion.

For example Conway's "Game of Life" is undecidable at high iterations despite using a very simple set of rules which could be considered to be a canon of physical law in the greatly simplified microcosm of the game. In other words, based on an initial configuation of pixels the only way to determine whether the resultant pattern will stabilize as an infinite loop or go "extinct" is to actually run the program and see what happens.

Similarly despite the fact that fluid turbulence is known to be governed by the Navier-Stokes equation, turbulent flow is similarly uncomputable.. This is the main reason why long-term weather prediction is not currently possible and why one cant predict the shapes of clouds or the dispersion patterns of fallen autumn leaves. These are all *deterministic* systems yet the mind is so boggled by the recursive complexity and sensitivity to initial conditions thereof that it hides its ignorance under the security blanket of *randomness*.

Stuart LaForge

"Science has not yet mastered prophecy. We predict too much for the next year and yet far too little for the next ten." - Neil Armstrong