[ExI] BUS: Memory Venture

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 17:06:32 UTC 2009

On 12/30/09, Natasha Vita-More wrote:
> Friends,  this  past year (or so) I recall someone mentioning a new
> business or venture which is  focused on developing memory
> portfolios for people to have for their loved ones  after their death.
> Cryonicists are also interested in this type of venture  for providing
> a historical account of one's life if and when  reanimated.
>
> Does anyone know  what this business/venture is and/or have any
> knowledge about what methods and  technologies would be used
> to develop such a project?

Hey, I thought somebody promised we were all going to live forever???  ;)

The service you may be thinking of is called Legacy Locker.
See:
<http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/05/18/death.online/index.html>
and
<http://socialmedialawstudent.com/social-media/digital-life-after-death-social-media-and-your-digital-content-post-mortem/>

Of course, once you get one site, 50 others follow soon after, so you
would have to search the market.

There are similar sites where you can leave emails to be sent after
your death, (and you could include details there of your online
presence, with account numbers, passwords, etc.).

Nowadays, even when making an old-fashioned paper will it is a good
idea to include a sheet with all your online bank accounts, mail
lists, websites, with all the relevant passwords. That sheet has to be
updated every year, of course, at your annual will review, where
changes are considered.

Facebook sites tend to become memorial sites after someone dies, but
you should leave a record of your password so that cleanup jobs can be
done.

I think Second Life is also developing something where you can leave a
memorial, with recordings and play-back scenarios.

There will probably be a lot of development in this area soon.

(I noticed a comedy sketch where a teen died and sent text messages
back via an Ouija board full of GR8 and LOL and ROTFL).

BillK