[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 30 20:24:59 UTC 2009

On Dec 30, 2009, Gordon Swobe wrote:

> Computer simulations of flames do not actually burn anything, even simulated things,

Nonsense, if simulated objects didn't effect other simulated objects there would be no point in making computer simulations at all.

> computer simulations of people do not have understanding of words

So you say but you can offer no reason why we should think you are correct and can't even give a coherent reason why you don't use the same procedure for computers that you use on your fellow human beings to determine if they understand something or not.

>  I can see from the reactions that I get here that my views on this subject amount to something akin to religious blasphemy.

Well, somebody around here is certainly asking us to believe something on faith.

 John K Clark