[ExI] Carbon

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Dec 31 05:48:27 UTC 2009

I had an idea today regarding sequestering of carbon.  We create an enormous
hole in the desert, perhaps a km deep and 100 meters in diameter with a
cover, build a pipe from the large population centers, and fill the hole
with solid human waste.  At our current sewage processing plants, bacteria
break down this substance forming carbon dioxide, but note that the volume
of a container increases as the cube of the linear dimension whereas the
heat-losing surface area increases as the square.  So given a large enough
hole, the heat from the metabolism of the micro-organisms that break down
the solids increases the temperature sufficiently to actually slay the
bacteria and stop the decay process itself.  So we could imagine a hole
large enough to keep the solid waste sufficiently hot to prevent its
breakdown, thus maintaining it in its mostly carbon form while boiling away
the water, leaving the hot shit buried safely below ground.

As a side benefit, those who spend time pondering the greenest way to
dispose of themselves after they perish could arrange to have their remains
hurled into the shit pit.

spike

Well what am I supposed to call it?  Open to suggestion.