[ExI] Some new angle about AI

scerir scerir at libero.it
Thu Dec 31 17:43:09 UTC 2009

> no Turing machine can enumerate an infinity of correct bits of the sequence
produced by a quantum device.

It's worse than that, there are numbers (almost all numbers in fact) that a
Turing machine can't even come arbitrarily close to evaluating. A Quantum
Computer probably couldn't do that either but it hasn't been proven.
John K Clark

It is difficult stuff for me. Difficult. But there is some literature. In
example:

Quantum randomness and value indefiniteness
http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0611029v2
-Cristian S. Calude, Karl Svozil
Abstract: As computability implies value definiteness, certain sequences of
quantum outcomes cannot be computable.

How Random Is Quantum Randomness? An Experimental Approach
http://arxiv.org/abs/0912.4379v1
-Cristian S. Calude, Michael J. Dinneen, Monica Dumitrescu, Karl Svozil
Our aim is to experimentally study the possibility of distinguishing between
quantum sources of randomness--recently proved to be theoretically
incomputable--and some well-known computable sources of pseudo-randomness.
Incomputability is a necessary, but not sufficient "symptom" of "true
randomness". We base our experimental approach on algorithmic information
theory which provides characterizations of algorithmic random sequences in
terms of the degrees of incompressibility of their finite prefixes. Algorithmic
random sequences are incomputable, but the converse implication is false. We
have performed tests of randomness on pseudo-random strings (finite sequences)
of length 2^{32} generated with software (Mathematica, Maple), which are cyclic
(so, strongly computable), the bits of pi, which is computable, but not cyclic,
and strings produced by quantum measurements (with the commercial device
Quantis and by the Vienna IQOQI group). Our empirical tests indicate
quantitative differences, some statistically significant, between computable
and incomputable sources of "randomness".

Happy new year!

s.

John von Neumann: “Anyone who considers arithmetical methods of producing
random digits is, of course, in a state of sin.” From J. von Neumann, “Various
Techniques Used in Connection With Random Digits,” National Bureau of Standards
Applied Math Series 12, 36–38 (1951), reprinted in John von Neumann, Collected
Works, (Vol. V), A. H. Traub, editor, MacMillan, New York, 1963, p. 768–770.