[ExI] Belief in Market Efficiency

painlord2k at libero.it painlord2k at libero.it
Sun Feb 1 19:13:39 UTC 2009

Il 31/01/2009 2.49, Damien Broderick ha scritto:
> At 03:16 PM 1/30/2009 -0700, Thomas wrote contra regulation:
>
>> Free market traders with education, enlightenment and refinement
>> (civilized) have the advantage over savages.
>
> And, until 150 years ago, often owned them as chattels. (Or were
> those not free market traders?)

Not exactly true.

 From Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Mauritania

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Sudan
> Since 1995, international rights organizations such as Human Rights
> Watch and CASMAS have reported that slavery in Sudan is a common
> fate of captives in the Second Sudanese Civil War. Pro-government
> militias have been known to raid non-Muslim southern villages
> (particularly those of the Dinka) and loot them both for property and
> for slaves.[1][2] According to the Rift Valley Institute's Sudan
> Abductee Database
>
> , over 11,000 people were abducted in 20 years of slave-raiding in
> southern Sudan.[3] SudanActivism.com mentions that hundreds of
> thousands have been abducted into slavery, fled, or are otherwise
> unaccounted for in a second genocide in southern Sudan.[4] According
> to the American Anti-Slavery Group, black Africans in southern Sudan
> have been abducted for centuries in the Arab slave trade, but the
> slave raids by militia armed by the federal government of Sudan
> increased significantly after the 1989 military coup led by Field
> Marshal Omar Hassan Ahmad al-Bashir, who is the current president of
> Sudan.[5]

So, apparently not only the "civilized", "free market traders" used the
slavery, but also the uncivilized.

Like many native americans
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_indians
> Slavery existed among Native Americans before it was introduced by
> the Europeans, although it was unlike chattel slavery. In oral
> tradition, for instance, Cherokees saw slavery as the result of
> failure in warfare, and as a temporary status pending adoption or
> release.[16] As the US Constitution and the laws of several states
> permitted slavery, Native Americans were legally allowed to continue
> owning slaves, including those brought from Africa by Europeans. The
> Cherokee tribe had the most members who held black slaves, more than
> any Native American tribe.[17]

And I suppose I don't need to remember that africans were sold by other
africans to Europeans (for working in North and South America as slaves)
and to the Arabs (for the same reasons only to the other side of Africa).

And I don't need to remember you that many Europeans were captured and
sold as slaves by the Arabs (probably a few millions in a couple of
centuries) until the 1700.

We can say that also savages were able (and probably are able) to buy
civilized people as slaves.

Mirco