[ExI] Belief in Market Efficiency

painlord2k at libero.it painlord2k at libero.it
Mon Feb 2 01:33:58 UTC 2009

Il 31/01/2009 4.50, Fred C. Moulton ha scritto:
> On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 19:49 -0600, Damien Broderick wrote:
>> At 03:16 PM 1/30/2009 -0700, Thomas wrote contra regulation:
>>
>>> Free market traders with education, enlightenment and refinement
>>> (civilized) have the advantage over savages.
>> And, until 150 years ago, often owned them as chattels. (Or were
>> those not free market traders?)
>
> Regardless of how one feels about regulation it is obvious that slavery
> can not be part of a free market system.  By definition.  Since the
> slaves do not have ownership of the results of their labor and more to
> the point slaves do not have ownership of themselves in being able to
> determine what kind of work to do; where to live; etc.  I have read that
> for this reason the term "man stealer" was used as a derogatory term for
> a slaver owner and/or trader.

Free market work within a society where people is considered equal in
freedom and rights/responsibilities.

This don't rule out an institution like slavery, because the slave is
out of the society. It is chattel or thrall. It is an object for his/her
master that can be used like an animal or a car. He has no right
recognized by the others.

What is ruled out is arbitrary enslavement of a member of the society,
that have right recognized by other peers.

For example, Islam allow slaves (not a surprise, I suppose).
But the slaves must be not muslim (kafir), it is not allowed to enslave
a muslim (he is already the slave of Allah).

Rights are recognized only to individuals or groups we want to
collaborate/cooperate with in peace.
Chickens or worms have no rights, because we don't recognize them like
individuals we want cooperate with.

Mirco