[ExI] Belief in Market Efficiency

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Feb 7 23:31:44 UTC 2009

> Subject: Re: [ExI] Belief in Market Efficiency
>
> On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Stathis Papaioannou
> <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

> > People willingly vote to be taxed.

In the USA we are now very close to the point where the majority pays no
taxes.  So voters willingly vote higher taxes on other people.  The actual
tax payer is in the minority.  This phenomenon is the reason the ancient
Greeks thought democracy was unstable.  Here is how we may see democracy
slip away to totalitarianism: if we elect a series of leaders, each
promising to take more people out of the tax paying column and make up the
difference by increasing taxes of the rich.