[ExI] Darwin and Buddhism

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 00:59:31 UTC 2009

I wrote:
>> I think Darwin was actually Mormon.  ; )

Damien Broderick replied:
> Except that he didn't base his life on transparently ridiculous bullshit.
> (How's that for political correctness?)

Ouch!!

I have always admired the Mormon scientist Henry Eyring, as a man who
tried to bridge the gap between religion and science.

>From his Wikipedia entry:
Eyring was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
throughout his life. His views of science and religion were captured
in this quote: "Is there any conflict between science and religion?
There is no conflict in the mind of God, but often there is conflict
in the minds of men."[3] Sterling McMurrin believed he should have
received the Nobel Prize but was not awarded it because of his
religion.[4]

It is extremely sad should the final statement be true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Eyring

"The Reconciliation of Faith and Science: Henry Eyring's Achievement"

http://content.lib.utah.edu/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/dialogue&CISOPTR=17639&CISOSHOW=17595

Biography from the National Academy of Sciences...

http://www.nap.edu/html/biomems/heyring.html

Best wishes,

John Grigg