[ExI] Pancritical rationalism

Max More max at maxmore.com
Thu Feb 19 14:23:44 UTC 2009

I am actually considering submitting a paper for that conference, but
very much agree with the reservations (to put it mildly) expressed by
Damien and Fred. Fred mentioned my paper on pancritical rationalism
(PCR), which was a talk I gave (at excessive length) at EXTRO-1 in
1994. The still-current Principles of Extropy include "Rational
Thinking" as the relevant principle, and I think that PCR is the most
consistent full perspective on what that means. Those unfamiliar with
PCR can find the text of that ancient talk here:

http://www.maxmore.com/pcr.htm

Max

Fred Moulton wrote:

>The transhumanist can take a critical scientific rational stance
>where a person following faith can not.  That is a fundamental
>difference.  Science, reason and an open inquiry into all questions are
>some of the banners of transhumanism.   By its very nature faith is
>different.  Anyone who does not understand this distinction might want
>to read The Retreat to Commitment by W. W. Bartley; or read the very
>fine summary about Pan Critical Rationalism that Max wrote several years
>ago.

Max More, Ph.D.
Strategic Philosopher
www.maxmore.com