[ExI] CALL: H+ call for papers

Eschatoon Magic eschatoon at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 07:32:51 UTC 2009

I think those who jump at the first mention of religion are persons
who had to make a big effort to free themselves from religious
superstition, and are afraid of falling back into it anytime. Like
those ex-alcoholics who avoid all parties because they know they would
not be able to resist the temptation.

Me, I was not raised in a religious family (nobody went to church in
my family) and never really gave a damn about religion. So I am not
afraid to discuss with religious persons.

There are many bad things in religion, and there are also many good
things. We all know the bad things: irrationality, superstition,
dogmatism, hatred for the infidels, holy wars, and burning people. The
good things have in common an aspiration to transcendence and
greatness, something more and better, which is very transhumanist. My
dream is repackaging religion with the good things and without the bad
things, and compatibly with scientific knowledge and method, and
spreading the new memetic package very wide.

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 5:44 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> On Behalf Of hkhenson
>>
>> Hmm.  It would seem to me that accepting a proposal means you
>> could become a member, but what do I know?
>>
>> Keith
>>
>> PS.  I once suggested to the Templeton foundation that they
>> resolve the question of Gods by setting up a serious of
>> prizes like the X-prizes for teams who could demonstrate
>> increasing god-like powerz.  It could either result in
>> creating a god, or attract the attention of God himself (I am
>> a jealous God).  Needless to say, they didn't take my advice.
>

> Keith, I know why I am friends with you.  This is a hoot!  {8^D  I can
> imagine you suggesting something like this to the Templeton Foundation.
>
> Regarding becoming a member of this organization, I might actually consider
> it, assuming it costs very little and doesn't devour much time.  It might be
> interesting to be kind of a quiet infiltrator, to see if one formally
> trained in theology at the college level might be able to smuggle in some
> transhumanist memes.  I know their vocabulary.  They are not nearly as
> dangerous as [name deleted].
>
> Actually the more I think about it, the less I like the sneaky-ness of being
> an infiltrator, but I just don't know how they would take a former christian
> fundamentalist who converted to atheism.  Suggestions welcome.
>
> spike

Eschatoon Magic
http://cosmeng.org/index.php/Eschatoon
aka Giulio Prisco