[ExI] CALL: H+ call for papers

Anna Taylor femmechakra at yahoo.ca
Fri Feb 20 15:49:49 UTC 2009

--- On Fri, 2/20/09, Eschatoon Magic <eschatoon at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are many bad things in religion, and there are also
> many good things. We all know the bad things: irrationality,
> superstition, dogmatism, hatred for the infidels, holy wars, and burning
> people. The good things have in common an aspiration to transcendence
> and greatness, something more and better, which is very
> transhumanist. My dream is repackaging religion with the good things and
> without the bad things, and compatibly with scientific knowledge and
> method, and spreading the new memetic package very wide.

I too dream of that same scenario.  I wrote a paper a while back (which I didn't publish anywhere) that distinguishes the differences between Transhumanism and Religion.  For me, Transhumanism is the wave of the future as it is impossible to ignore how science and technology play a intricate role in our lives.  As for religion, I agree that the bad things you mention are the reasons why religion as a whole needs to be re-worked and challenged at all costs.  Irrational as it may seem I still believe in a "cosmic greater good force with a plan", not God(s) and that religion with all it's faults will hopefully become an institute of learning. I don't see why religion and philosophy can't combine itself as the greatest teachers are not God(s) but mere men and woman that have experienced the lessons of life and that can share their morals and values hopefully to teach those that are in need of guidance.  It's wishful thinking, I know:)

Anna