[ExI] government corruption, was: RE: Social Mobility and Bioconservatism

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 04:26:42 UTC 2009

2009/2/23 painlord2k at libero.it <painlord2k at libero.it>:
> Il 22/02/2009 3.11, Stathis Papaioannou ha scritto:
>
>> Corporations want to screw their customers, employees, competitors and
>> the environment for every cent they can.
>
> The want maximize their profits.
> If they want maximize their profits in the shot time, the best way is to
> give nothing for something.
> If they want maximize their profits in the long time, the best way is to
> have satisfied and returning buyers.
> Sometimes, for your astonishment, the sellers are willing to sell at lower
> prices to maximize the volume and the total revenues instead of selling at
> higher prices at a lower volume and total revenues.

Yes, but the point is corporations aim to maximise profits and bring
about beneficial effects only incidentally, while government and other
non-profit organisations have the beneficial effect as their primary
aim and incidentally may fail due to corruption or inefficiency. In
the final analysis, we should have the system that does the most good,
not the system that best fits a favoured ideology. That was the
problem with communism: they refused to change even when it became
obvious that the population was unhappy and the economy was falling
further and further behind. I can see the same thing happening with a
radical pro-free market regime holding on to ideology regardless of
the effect it has on the people or the economy.

--
Stathis Papaioannou