[ExI] we need a transhumanist themed film to truly inspire the world, but what should it be?

Robert Picone rpicone at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 08:52:52 UTC 2009

I'm rather skeptical about the prospects here, as-is serious science fiction
movies (that is, movies where science fiction is more than a gimmick) are
rare enough, those few serious sci-fi movies that exist tend to be
exclusively distopian, tending to meet concepts related to transhumanism
with fear.  I'm not sure it's really possible to acclimate most viewers to
transhumanist ideas in a short enough timespan that the plot actually
matters to them.

Viewers are pretty used to themes of anyone who wants to be more than
human/pursue some sort of immortality being monstrous.  Used to it enough
that they just seem to accept the idea without any sort of question at this
point...  I remember seeing "The 6th Day" when it was reasonably recently
released and being a bit horrified (if you're unfamiliar, basically there is
pseudo-uploading in the form of mind backups that can be transfered to
clones, Schwarzenegger's character accidentally gets a clone made in an
attempt by the only cloning company around to save his best friend, and
becomes hunted because the existence of a copy is evidence the technology
exists despite being illegal to develop.  Long story short, he manages to
blow up a building and destroy what is implied to be thousands of backups,
the ability to produce copies, and by all appearances a couple hundred
innocent people who work there...  It is of course presented as a happy
ending).  The thing is nobody else seemed to think anything of it (other
than that it was a bit vapid as a thriller).  It is even one of the highest
grossing Sci-fi movies of all time...
I could very well be wrong on all this though, if such a film is made
though, I'd prefer to see something that uses concepts that people are
familiar with seeing in a positive light, even concepts that seems somewhat
archaic now would be cool.  A modernized version of True Names might work
well enough...

As for movies already in the pipeline, apparently Dreamworks bought the
rights to make a live-action Ghost in the Shell film which could have
potential.