[ExI] Happy New Year!

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 03:38:46 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 12:43 AM, Emlyn wrote:
>> On the BBC2 TV New year musical entertainment programme 'Jules
>> Hootenanny', after her performance the singer Annie Lennox had a brief
>> chat with the host.
>> Jules said 'And what is your recommendation for 2009?'
>> After a brief pause, Annie said, 'Well, 2009 is going to be a
>> catastrophic year. I recommend staying in bed'. Unsettled, trying to
>> make a joke of it, Jules said, 'So your recommendation for 2009 is to
>> stay in bed!', then laughed and swiftly moved on to another guest.
>>
>> Unexpected serious comment on a light entertainment show.
>
> I like Annie Lennox, but that's super lame. I stand by my previous exhortation.

<Grin> Well, of course Annie Lennox is not a noted financial analyst.

I understood her to be saying that you might as well go to sleep and
wake up in 2010, missing all the bad stuff in 2009. What I thought
remarkable was that the realization of just how bad 2009 is going to
be is spreading through the general public, in spite of all the
government attempts to soothe their fears.

Some analysts do agree with her opinion.
See:
<http://www.minyanville.com/articles/WMT-TGT-GE-C-djia-gm/index/a/20445>
Five Themes You Need to Know for 2009
Kevin Depew   Dec 31, 2008

Final paragraph:
So there you have it. Only 366 days until 2010. That's the good news.
When all is said and done, perhaps the best thing that will be said of
2009 is that it only lasted a year.