[ExI] I don't understand students: help !

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 09:29:11 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 8:33 AM, Anna Taylor  wrote:
> Funny how easy it is to make a joke.  The issue is still in regard.  The issue is whether technology is
> causing children to be less sociable.

'No' is the answer to that specific question.

The young people seem to be developing a 'hive-mind' where they are
constantly in touch with their friends.
Quote:
The researchers found that most young people almost always associate
with people they already know in their offline lives through school or
sports, but cell phones, instant messaging and social network sites
such as MySpace and Facebook allow them to be in nearly constant
touch.

<http://psychcentral.com/news/2008/12/25/kids-learn-social-skills-online/3557.html>

There are other problems with this developing lifestyle, but
sociability isn't one of them.  :)

For example, if you ask a teen her opinion on something new, she will
probably be unable to answer until she has contacted the 'hive-mind'
to get the group consensus view on it. Being part of the peer group is
extremely important to teens.

Another possible problem is that some suggest that this new online
generation has the attention span of a gnat, leading to the
trivializing of everything. No deep thinkers here, matey,    Ooh look,
shiny new Youtube video!

And so on...........

BillK