[ExI] What's in a transhumanist name? (was: YES! to Transhumanism)

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 18:50:39 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> PHILIP REEVE was asked his reaction to the horror of _Mortal Engines_
> being `put in the sci fi section. How do you feel about the label, do you
> think it's a derogatory term?' His reply: `Well, for a long time I
> avoided it, but I've started to embrace it because I'm quite proud to be
> considered a sci fi author as it's so unfashionable. It's strange that
> people worry about boys not reading, even though the one genre that boys
> are likely to be interested in is dismissed as garbage, often by the same
> people. I think it's time to stand out and be counted. I also think sci
> fi should be aware of its own absurdity.' (_Literary Review_, April)

Has anyone else noticed that the "Sci Fi" channel seems to have lost
focus?  I thought it was a stretch to put "Ghost Hunters" on SciFi,
but insanely high ratings apparently whet executive appetite for more
off-mission content.  Now they have fear-based 'reality' shows
(completely sadomasochistic contrivances) and other nonsense.  The
over-hyped "next to last" episode of SG:Atlantis was essentially
CSI:LasVegas - I was so disappointed that I couldn't be bothered to
watch Sanctuary which followed it.  Maybe Sanctuary is a good show,
but it seems more like Fantasy chasing werewolves and vampires than
should be on SciFi.

Maybe there is too much real technology confusing people right now,
they can't handle it - so they're escaping into fantasy and other
made-up 'reality' shows?