[ExI] What's in a transhumanist name? (was: YES! to Transhumanism)

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 13:05:56 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 11:26 PM, Anne Corwin <sparkle_robot at yahoo.com> wrote:

> That said, I can definitely concur that actual engineering is absolutely nothing like imaginary engineering.

Still, engineering may have a broader meaning, as in social
engineering, bio-engineering, reverse-ingeneering, political
engineering, etc.

What I frankly do not like in the term for an org such as OCE is the
suggestion that the latter might be involved in anything other than
*cultural* engineering, and aim as such at the actual engineering of
H+ solutions, which would in my view be a misguided and delusional
ambition, this being the job of corporate R&D depts, of visionary
startups, of State-funded agencies, of community-based specific
projects such as those of the Open Source movement, and of individual
researchers.

Which of course does not mean that the Order should not spread and
foster information, support, promotion, financing, education,
cross-pollination, personal involvements, etc. in this respect.

--
Stefano Vaj