[ExI] why not start up a Mexico based cryonics company?

Samantha  Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Jan 15 00:14:15 UTC 2009

On Jan 14, 2009, at 3:54 PM, PJ Manney wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 1:50 AM, <jay.dugger at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 1. I do not think Mexico sufficently stable for a such a long-term
>> project.

At the moment I don't consider the US all that long term stable either.

>> 2. What laws apply to importing human remains to Mexico?

What "remains"?

>> 3. What legal status will cryo-preserved remains have in Mexico? Will
>> they count as anatomical gifts?

How are they considered in the US today?

> and
>
> 4.  The cryo-preserved are the most convenient kidnap hostages
> imaginable.  After you receive a badly thawed finger by courier,
> they'll demand, "Pay us the ransom or we pull the plug!" or if you'd
> prefer, "Electricity?!  We don't need no stinkin' electricity!"

Even for those who really only think of the cryo-preserved as
"remains" this would be at least desecration of the dead.   For many
of our families this unfortunately would not be a very workable
extortion.  Some would even pay hooligans to stage the kidnapping.
They are even more likely to as the legal status of the cryo-preserved
improves perhaps tying up more of the estate.  But I agree it is an
extra vulnerability.

- samantha