[ExI] consciousness and perception

John K Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Sat Jan 24 18:40:39 UTC 2009

"The Avantguardian" <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com>

> Do you think that you directly perceive fundamental reality at full
> resolution?

Of course not, fundamental reality is unattainable.

> There have been many experiments that demonstrate that this is not the
> case.

That is one of the two things I object to. It annoys me to see someone state
something that is so incredibly obvious that it doesn't even need
experimental confirmation, and then treat it as if it were a major new
scientific discovery.

The other thing I object to is that a collection of atoms cannot generate
subjectivity, there must be something else. And I don't much like it that
they give no hint of what that "something" is.

> The number of people stopped at a metropolitan red-light is pretty
> convincing empirically.

It's convincing evidence that a particular wavelength of light produces the
same behavior, but what subjective experience it produces, or even if there
is any subjectivity at all we do not and will never know.

> There is but one soul and you are an instantiation of it.

Yes I agree, provided we take a few small liberties with the word "soul". I
agree that I am AN instantiation of it, I am not THE instantiation of it.
There is no reason in principle there couldn't be 6.02*10^23 instantiation
of it, all of them me.

 John K Clark