[ExI] consciousness and perception

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at comcast.net
Wed Jan 28 12:17:34 UTC 2009

Gordon, John, and everyone,

Yes, language, or its current inability to describe what we are talking
about is the biggest problem.  We believe that is another important
reason for canonization of such, or surveying what language works best
for the most people.  We can't comunicate untill we agree on what our
words mean, and we have non ambiguous terminology capable of describing
what we must talk about.

So how about we back up a bit and start with the very obvious basics?
Once that is clear, perhaps we can move on from there?

Consider looking at a strawberry patch of green leaves and red
strawberries.  Everyone must agree that the perception process of this
red vs green could be inverted in many different ways at any location in
the chain of events that is the perception process.  You could use a TV
camera / monitor system to invert the red/green.  You could kind of use
colored glasses to invert the red/green.  Or you could theoretically add
a neural inverting system spliced into the optic nerve.

Regardless of where the signal was inverted, our knowledge and ability
to be aware of, to behave intelligently about, and pick the
strawberries, and so on, would not change.  But, in one case, the
strawberries would be red, and in the inverted case the strawberries
would be green.  And of course, the nature of the strawberry itself, and
the way it causally reflects 700 nm light will not have changed at all.

That much is quite simple, obvious and easy to understand right?
Everyone must accept this simple fact as absolutely true?

Brent Allsop