[ExI] Belief in Market Efficiency

Fred C. Moulton moulton at moulton.com
Sat Jan 31 08:26:26 UTC 2009

I doubt you will find anyone on this list praising the current workings
of the legal system in the USA.  In this particular situation the case
was tried in Caddo Parish, Louisiana.

Louisiana ... why am I not surprised?

I had at first guessed that it might have been one of those mandatory
minimum situations that some states have when there is a firearm (real
or pretend) involved.  However according to this blog:
http://www.wesawthat.blogspot.com/2009/01/shreveport-man-gets-15-years-for.html
the Prosecutor (Paul Carmouche) may have asked for the long sentence
because he had recently lost an election for a Congressional seat and
the slogan used against him was "cut'em loose Carmouche".  I do not know
if this is the correct explanation however I would not be surprised.  Of
course this does not explain why the Judge went along with it.

Fred