[ExI] Fwd: [neuro] Connectionists: OpenViBE software for BCI and realtime neuroscience : official release

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 20:21:57 UTC 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>
Date: Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 11:48 AM
Subject: [neuro] Connectionists: OpenViBE software for BCI and
realtime neuroscience : official release
To: info at postbiota.org, neuro at postbiota.org, tt at postbiota.org

----- Forwarded message from Yann Renard <yann.renard at irisa.fr> -----

From: Yann Renard <yann.renard at irisa.fr>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 17:05:22 +0200
To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: Connectionists: OpenViBE software for BCI and realtime neuroscience
       : official release

We are proud to announce the release of *OpenViBE*
<http://openvibe.inria.fr>, an opensource platform that enables to
design, test and use Brain-Computer Interfaces (BCI). Broadly
speaking, OpenViBE can be used in many real-time Neuroscience applications.

The OpenViBE platform stands out for its high modularity. It addresses
the needs of different types of users (programmers and non-programmers)
and proposes a user-friendly graphical language which allows
non-programmers to design a BCI without writing a single line of code.

OpenViBE is portable, independent of hardware or software targets, can
run under Windows and Linux and is entirely based on free and
open-source software. OpenViBE is compatible with MATLAB
programming.

OpenViBE comes with preconfigured scenarios and runs already existing
applications such as :

   * BCI based on motor imagery
   * P300 speller
   * Neurofeedback
   * Real-time visualization of brain activity in 2D or 3D

OpenViBE is available under the terms of the LGPL-v2+. The
whole software is developed in C++. It consists of a set of software
modules that can be integrated easily and efficiently to design BCI
applications such as for Virtual Reality interaction. Key features
of the platform are:

   * *Modularity and reusability* Our platform is a set of software
     modules dedicated to the acquisition, pre-processing, processing
     and visualization of cerebral data, as well as to the interaction
     with VR displays. OpenViBE is a general purpose software, which
     implies users should be able to easily add new software modules in
     order to fit their particular needs.
   * *Different tools for various users* OpenViBE is designed for
     different types of user: clinicians, signal processing
     researchers, computer/human interaction developers etc. Their
     various needs are addressed and different tools are proposed for
     each of them, depending on their programming skills and their
     knowledge in brain processes.
   * *Portable software* The platform operates independently from the
     different software and hardware targets. It includes an
     abstraction allowing to run with various acquisition machines,
     such as EEG or MEG. It can run on Windows and Linux and also
     includes different data visualisation techniques.
   * *Connection with virtual reality* Our software can be integrated
     with high-end VR applications. OpenViBE can serve as an external
     peripheral to connect a BCI system to any kind of VR application.
     It also takes advantage of VR displays , allowing to visualize
     cerebral activity more efficiently or to provide incentive
     training environments (e.g., for neurofeedback).

If you want more details, check these links :

*Website*
<http://openvibe.inria.fr>

*Quick introduction video* :
<http://openvibe.inria.fr/video.php?q=video-openvibe-introduction-en>

*Software download* :
<http://openvibe.inria.fr/?q=download>

*One-hour training session video* :
<http://openvibe.inria.fr/video.php?q=video-designer-training-fr&playlist=true>

*Screenshots and videos* :
<http://openvibe.inria.fr/?q=medias>

We will demonstrate OpenViBE in Berlin, Germany, july 8th-10th at the
BBCI workshop <http://bbci.agilemeetings.com>. For latest news, check
our website at <http://openvibe.inria.fr>.

Looking forward to your feedback, we hope you'll enjoy working with
OpenViBE as we do. Feel free to join us and to spread the word... Many
people did this already <http://openvibe.inria.fr/?q=contributions> !

Best regards,
The OpenViBE consortium

*Contact* :