[ExI] Americans are poor drivers

Mirco Romanato painlord2k at libero.it
Sun Jul 12 11:35:56 UTC 2009

Stathis Papaioannou ha scritto:
> 2009/7/12 Mirco Romanato <painlord2k at libero.it>:

> Or they could decide not to sell the streets to private individuals.

This would be a Common, a tragedy of the.

> Through experience, people have decided that some things, like
> restaurants, are best run privately, and other things, like law
> enforcement and education, are best run collectively.

The real history usually is a bit different:
for example education was entirely private and public education was
introduced, by governments, to "help the poor" that could not pay and
send the children to school. Then they enlarged the pool to the people
that could pay, driving out the private providers. The fact that private
providers exist after a century or more is testament that free and good
rarely come together.
Many societal problems we have today can be traced to the way schools
and public schools were structured in the past from the governments.

Maybe taking the children from the family and indoctrinating them with
the government ideology is good, maybe it is not.
Maybe, desocialize the children from their families and neighbours and
socialize them with a bunch of same age individuals is good, maybe it is
not.

> It's OK to try
> to argue that your particular way of running things works better, as
> long as people are free to choose, preferably on the basis of evidence
> from past experience or observation of alternative systems around the
> world. Ultimately, if people make the wrong choice their country will
> fall further and further behind, and it will become more and more
> obvious that they have made the wrong choice..

It appear that the US and Europe, in many fields, are losing their
advantages in respect to East Asia. Maybe they are or were doing
something wrong.

Mirco