[ExI] iranian riots all a huge mistake

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Jul 13 02:48:55 UTC 2009

...On Behalf Of Stathis Papaioannou

> They are guilty of the crime of apostasy, which like sodomy,
> warrants the death penalty in the Abrahamic religions. As it
> says in Deuteronomy 13:6-10:
> ...But the Mullahs in Iran and several
> other Middle eastern states *take their religion seriously*,
> which means you can't ignore the parts which you don't like... Stathis

Stathis, this comment gets part of the way there, but misses something
really important.  Most people have long ago recognized that church and
state must be kept strictly separate.  The religion that must not be named
not only rejects that notion, it specifically insists that church and state
be unified.

The ongoing Iranian riots are not so much about support for the losing
candidate, but rather that the Iranian election is only a show, and that it
is really a theocracy.  The young people of Iran do not want to be ruled by
religion.  We should be supporting them.