[ExI] iranian riots all a huge mistake

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 11:40:05 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 1:12 AM, Mirco Romanato<painlord2k at libero.it> wrote:
> In reality, I could argue that Iran is an elective monarchy where the
> Supreme Leader have supreme authority and have life tenure.
> The others are windows dressing around.
> Nothing can be done against the will of the Supreme Leader.

Speaking of checks and balance the Supreme Leader AFAIK has a lesser,
not greater, constitutional role in governmental affairs than the
President of the United States.

In fact, even though at the end of the day he still decided to support
Amahdinejad during the last elections, it is no mystery that he had to
endure the "excessive" independence shown by the latter and the
related discontend of traditionalist clergy (see Rafsanjani).

But, sure, the US constitutional system itself has been described by
European political scientists as a temporary elective monarchy... :-)

--
Stefano Vaj