[ExI] Who are the people? Who suffers?

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Jul 18 04:52:28 UTC 2009

> ...On Behalf Of Stathis Papaioannou
> I recommend that the US introduce a single payer health
> insurer covering everyone... Stathis Papaioannou

Stathis, I don't know how much of the current debate is making it into the
European press.  The notion of a major overhaul of the US medical system was
sunk yesterday by a report by the Congressional Budget Office, which claims
that total health care costs under Obamacare will not go down, but would go
up.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/16/AR2009071602
242.html

So.  No farewell cruel working world for the old spikester.

It is easy to tell that there was a major shift in attitude.  The congress
was pushing madly for a vote on this before the recess in August, if not
sooner, hurry hurry urgent, danger Will Robinson, etc.  But with this Budget
Office report, the American democrat party splintered into factions.  Some
are now arguing that a good plan will take time (imagine that, the
scoundrels!)  But if they allow time, the congress members will have a
chance to actually read the bill, and will vote against it.  The stealth and
speed aspect of the surprise attack are lost.

What happens now can be seen as clearly as if it has already happened.  The
health bill falters, a very much weakened version of it eventually passes
which contains the words "health system reform" but doesn't actually do
anything (single payer?  Ja.  You.)  The tax and trade CO2 bill which passed
recently in the house will be voted down by the senate, the current
government's approval rating goes into freefall, little significant economic
recovery for some time to come.

OK here are some very specific prognostications.  Save it in your prophecy
file, grade me on it in a couple years.  I will still be here.