[ExI] The ruling class crush/was Re: Private and government R&D

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 22 18:31:12 UTC 2009

On Wednesday, July 22, 2009 4:57:19 AM Mirco Romanato painlord2k at libero.it

>>> ### What makes you think so? Do you see rich individuals and powerful
>>> corporations embedded in morally advanced societies routinely
>>> squashing anyone that gets in their way?
>>
>> I'm just going to sit here for a while and marvel at this question.
>
> Well, just don't consider the people and the corporations that do
> business with the government.
>
> They routinely squash anyone that is in their way, using the power
> of government. And both use the "common good" justification for
> their actions. They very rarely are willing to do so themselves or
> do so themselves. Too much risks.

Some people are willing to take the risks. After all, real crimes (i.e., crimes that actually violate someone else's rights as opposed to crimes created by government decree) are committed by rich individuals and "powerful" coporations. The thing is it's much easier to do this -- less costly, including less risky -- if it's done with the government's blessing or even outsourced to the government. In the latter case, most of the costs are then redistributed from the rich individual or corporation to the tax base. And since in any society rich people and powerful groups tend to have much more influence with government, it should come as no surprise to anyone that rich people and powerful corporations tend to shape public policy toward their ends. This is what being in the ruling class is, after all, all about.

Of course, this is no apodictic argument. That one is rich or has a successful firm doesn't necessitate one crush anyone who gets in one's way. And, naturally, even with government help, crushing others still has risks. (The risk under statism is, of course, that the crushed will organized, get enough power, and return the favor. This would be all well and fine if the victims limited the costs to their oppressors, but, as they're using government too, they redistribute the costs again to other victims -- people who are currently disorganized or have less power.)

Regards,

Dan