[ExI] Problems with the BMI

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 09:08:36 UTC 2009

On 7/27/09, spike wrote:
>   But I have yet to have an
>  actual doctor explain to me: for what actual disease I am at greater risk by
>  being a bonemeister?  Well, anyone please?  What am I going to catch from
>  it?  Softening of the arteries?  Monobetes?  What?

With the western world obesity epidemic, being overweight has got more
attention recently, but underweight health has also been investigated.

Many underweight problems are caused by malnutrition so it is a factor
that you should be very aware of. But, presumably you watch your diet
carefully, so in your case we can generally ignore malnutrition and
deficiency-caused diseases. Though there are many trace elements and
micronutrients that a wide balanced diet provides that a restricted
diet might omit. (Just checking).  ;)

That leaves general underweight problems.

This short summary fact sheet tells you what problems to investigate further.
<http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/diet_and_weight.html>

Note: even in this short fact sheet, it takes the time to list the BMI
limitations that Max complained about.
As does Wikipedia: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index>

Quote:
Complications
If you're underweight for a long time you may be more likely to
develop long-term health problems, such as osteoporosis and damage to
your heart.
Underweight women often have no menstrual bleeding (amenorrhoea) and
may have difficulty getting pregnant. Underweight men are likely to
have poor semen sperm quality.

Also see: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underweight>

BillK