[ExI] honduras presidential removal

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 03:24:28 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 3:44 PM, Mirco Romanato<painlord2k at libero.it> wrote:

> After a time, I found this article of Roberto Michieletti
> The Path Forward for Honduras
> Zelaya’s removal from office was a triumph for the rule of law.
> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204886304574311083177158174.html

Mirco is perhaps unfamiliar with the WSJ and its place in American
culture.  The Wall Street Journal is the preeminent organ of the
American right.  During the last eight years this meant lusty,
unrestrained fealty to all things neo-conservative, in particular
to"full spectrum dominance" based on the profoundly rational and
obviously indisputable "truth"  of American superiority in all things:
culture, governance, economics, science, technology, and military
capability.  History was over, the US won, and now everyone wants to
be, should be, and damn well shall be Americanized.  It'll be good for
them.  Or else.

Lesson number one would have been learn these two words:  "How high?"

Alas, reality intervened, and things didn't quite turn out according
to the neocon grand plan.  But the WSJ continues on, "rebooting" as
it were, based a more "stable" restore point from back before the "crash".

Let's look at the character of that "restore point".

Central America has been -- under both dems and repubs -- an American
abattoir and plantation since the Monroe Doctrine.   Oligarchs rule at
the pleasure of the US, and a US trained and financed military
maintains the franchise.  Stray from the script and the US Marines
will arrive to put things back on track.  Questions?  No?  Good.

So the WSJ is just back on the job, doin' once again what it used to
do back when.  So when Zelaya, taking his cue from Chavez, Morales,
and others, sought to go "populist", the oligarchs and military said
no.  And now, surprise! surprise!, the WSJ is spinning and sanitizing
the military overthrow of a constitutionally elected head of state.

If you read anything of a political nature in the WSJ, and don't
immediately assume it is propaganda, then you need a lollipop and a
copy of "My Pet Goat".

"Lips."

http://lists.extropy.org/pipermail/extropy-chat/2009-June/050899.html

Anyway, here's a pretty good version of reality re the Honduran coup.

http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2009/07/26/the-honduran-coup-and-the-clinton-connection/

Short excerpt

"The public relations crew that is being paid mega-bucks to prettify
the Honduran military regime is certainly earning its fee: every
single "news" account of the events leading up to the coup avers that
the referendum Zelaya wanted to hold would have extended his term as
president. This is a flat-out lie. Read the translation of the
question that was to be on the ballot,
[http://www.poliblogger.com/?p=16138] and see for yourself.

This has nothing to do with term limits and everything to do with the
unlimited greed of the Honduran oligarchy and its American corporate
partners, who, acting in tandem with the U.S. government, have looted
Honduras for decades. They feared Zelaya would put an end to their
racket, so the U.S.-trained-and-supported army put an end to his
presidency. In the end, the coup leaders will get their way, Zelaya’s
supporters will have been put in their place, and the alleged threat
represented by Hugo Chavez, the left-populist "Bolivarian," will have
been turned back."

Best, Jeff Davis

"What surrounds us...is a vast tapestry of lies..."
                                        Harold Pinter