[ExI] USA Health Costs

Fred C. Moulton moulton at moulton.com
Mon Jun 1 22:16:06 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 23:18 +1000, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> 2009/6/1 BillK <pharos at gmail.com>:
> > Good analysis here in the New Yorker magazine:
> > <http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/06/01/090601fa_fact_gawande?currentPage=all>
>
> The article is about overservicing. Medical overservicing is not only
> expensive, it can also be dangerous. Free market medicine encourages
> overservicing.

Whether "Free market medicine" encourages overservicing is a conjecture.
Perhaps correct; perhaps incorrect.  But since there is not a free
market in medicine in the USA it is difficult to apply that conjecture
to the McAllen situation.  Since medicine is regulated in the USA you
could more easily make the claim that the current type of regulated
medicine might encourage overservicing in certain areas.  I said
"current type of regulated medicine" since a different type of
regulation could score differently in the measurements and I said
"might" just to include the possibility that there are other factors not
yet noticed.

Fred