[ExI] Manned Spaceflight (Was: future fizzle)

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 23:16:56 UTC 2009

2009/6/2 John K Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>:
> "Stathis Papaioannou" <stathisp at gmail.com>
>
>> Most of science, commerce and even military spending is ultimately for
>> entertainment purposes, since everything above subsistence is
>> entertainment.
>
> You don't go far enough, by that same criteria one could say that the reason
> most people prefer being alive rather than dead is because they fine it more
> entertaining.

Yes, we make efforts to stay alive so that we can do things that are
enjoyable. People want more money and better technology so that they
can have more fun. Pure science is done because it's fun, with the
potential bonus of an applied science spinoff,  but it gets less
funding than what we traditionally think of as entertainment because
it isn't as popular.

--
Stathis Papaioannou