[ExI] Psychology of markets explanations

Max More max at maxmore.com
Tue Jun 2 00:59:33 UTC 2009

BillK posted a link to an article:
>See: <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/19/books/review/Uchitelle-t.html>
>
>Irrational Exuberance
>By LOUIS UCHITELLE       Published: April 17, 2009

>Look around you, George A. Akerlof and Robert J. Shiller say.

I've read a fair number of articles by Shiller, and have thought some
of his observations are pretty smart. For instance, see my review of
his "New Hope for Old Risks"
http://www.manyworlds.com/exploreco.aspx?coid=CO11100311211163

If you're not going to buy his co-authored book, Animal Spirits, he
conveys the main ideas in a McKinsey Quarterly article that I reviewed here:
http://www.manyworlds.com/exploreco.aspx?coid=CO4170917354457

One point Shiller makes (in a different article) is that if we had
had a futures market for mortgages/real estate, investors could have
sold mortgage investments short. This would have moderated the rise
in house prices (yes, thereby "smoothing out" the market moves).

As for the book, Animal Spirits (which I hope to find time to read),
I would point to Mark Skousen's comments in his Amazon review:

Max

Max More, Ph.D.
Strategic Philosopher
Extropy Institute Founder