[ExI] Iran's plan for their gay population

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Jun 2 17:55:14 UTC 2009

I haven't been reading this thread very closely, but I don't think
anyone has yet pointed out how absurd it would be to "treat" same-sex
desire with transgender operations (except in a few cases).

For an XY to desire sex with an XY obviously does NOT require him to
wish to be a woman, let alone to want to have sex with an XY who has
been surgically reassigned. Indeed, two transgendered male=>female
humans I know of are in same-sex relationships; each considered
himself really a woman when he was male, and had his body rejigged to
conform to that self-image; now she continues to desire other women,
and by definition is therefore a lesbian. The helpful Iranian Muslims
might have some problems with that reality.

This Procrustean nonsense seems to go back to the primitive parody
that gay men are "fairies" with limp wrists and high-pitched girlish
voices. My impression is that these days muscular tough gay men
outnumber their effete brethren, and that in any case most gay men
are indistinguishable from straight men. Why would they want to
switch genders? My guess is that rather few gays yearn to have vulvas
or breasts; they seem quite happy with the equipment and other
secondary characteristics they have by nature.

If I'm wrong about any of this, I hope the gays and transgendered on
the list will speak up.

Damien Broderick