[ExI] CA gay marriage vote/was Re: Iran's plan for their gay population

dan_ust at yahoo.com dan_ust at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 3 18:36:46 UTC 2009

--- On Wed, 6/3/09, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> At 07:24 AM 6/3/2009 -0700, spike wrote:
>> Sure, but this particular case seems backwards to
>> me.  Of the gay people I
>> know, none have demonstrated racism that I can
>> recall.
>
> The conventional answer would look, I think, to the
> embattled masculinity of many black males, their kind having
> been insanely demonized for centuries as a foul threat to
> Sacred White Womanhood and simultaneously and forcibly
> treated like powerless children ("Boy!"). The strutting
> hypermaleness of rap seems to be an inevitable reaction,
> along with its venomous misogyny and homophobia. ("I ain't
> nuthin like no *ho*, like no *bee-itch*, like no faggot, yo
> muthafuck.") Cue Frantz Fanon.

And, as conventional answers go, this looks simplistic.  In some cases, one can ask "cui bono?" regarding particular stances and obtain profitable explanations.  In this case, I'm not sure.  Why not accept, here, at face value, the notion that traditional or religious beliefs played a role* -- rather than rap or "embattled masculinity"?  I think it's vaguely (if unintentionally) racist to presume (not saying you have) that Blacks don't have certain values and act based on these -- that they just react to whatever happened in the past.

Regards,

Dan

*  To be sure, interpretations of these.  As Jesse Jackson pointed out with regard to same-sex marriage and other gay-related issues:  "Well, they didn't make the Top 10 with Moses, and Jesus didn't make mention of them."  (This reminds me for my search of the New Testament on abortion.  No mention of it that I recall, but lots mentioned in it of how bad divorce is.  Why are those who claim to be Biblical literalists not railing against divorce laws?)