[ExI] Inflatable tower could climb to the edge of space

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Jun 8 22:24:58 UTC 2009

At 03:08 PM 6/8/2009 -0700, Jeff D. wrote:

>MY IDEA.  MY IDEA.  MY ORIGINAL IDEA.  ORIGINATED BY MOI.  ME, MY, MINE.

I remember discussing the feasibility of such a tube in the sky with
friends back in, oh, 1964. Sturdy inflated shell, evacuated innards=>
seriously reduced air drag. A giant cannon, sort of. Or condom.

Even with bucktubes and all, I still don't see how you can light up a
rocket engine at the top (let alone the bottom) and not set the
sucker on fire. Talk about the Towering Inferno.

Damien Broderick